When we purchased our farm, we discovered that it had belonged to distant family that still lives in Goetsenhoven. So we learnt a lot about the function and the history of the building. Until the ‘70s the name ‘ten Tweelinden’ was used to designate the farm in operation; later on it declined.
We did some research in Dr. P. Kempeneers’ toponymic study ‘Oost-Brabantse plaatsnamen: Goetsenhoven’, and we discovered that the name of the farm was used in 1390 for the first time. Throughout the centuries it was spelled in different ways, both in Dutch and in dialect. At a given moment there was confusion in dialect between ‘twee linden’ (two linden trees) and ‘tweelingen’ (twins).
Both original linden trees must have stood in the middle of the road that is now asphalted. In 2008 we planted two new trees in our inner court. They stand close to each other, so that they can grow together - like twins.